Thursday, January 20, 2011

Reading

I have never had a child so hard to teach how to read. I would like to believe that it is because English is the second language but I am not sure that it is. I am unsure of how to move forward from where we are at right now. Can thinking be taught? I mean like with a curriculum? I think I am going to check into that. It makes me want to pull my hair out reading with this child and it's no good for either of us. I need to find a way to work through this.

R has just finished reading Island of the Blue Dolphin, she really enjoyed the book. Along with this book she completed a lapbook to go along with it. I can't seem to pinpoint the reading level of this book. I have found so many different levels for it ranging from 4th grade to 8th grade. Considering she is in 4th grade she is right on target or really advanced in her reading. Either way it is a win so I am going to leave it at that.

The twins as we like to refer to them as, love reading books too. They will sit for hours and with tons of books reading themselves or better yet being read to. I love that they love books. Through the many years of having foster children, I have learned that the love of books is a precious gift to be given. I have had so many foster children that had no idea what to do with books but by the time they left our home they had a love of books. I have such a hard time resisting buying books. We have our own mini library in our home and I love it!

Christina

3 comments:

Kathy C. said...

There are a lot of ways to teach reading--phonics based, whole language approach, contextual clues, sight words. Maybe a combination of those or some remedial reading strategies would work. Thankfully there is a lot online now.

You might try to engage her personally by having her dictate a story to you about something that is important to her or even a letter to birthdad and then use it to teach sight words and phonics.

Julie said...

Just want you to know that you are not alone. One of our boys really struggles, and with both of them we are finding many gaps with Critical Thinking. The further we go, the more I see that there is still so much they don't understand with the language. We are seriously praying through using an English speaking program for them.

We continue to plod through everyday, and the reading and understanding is coming slowly. We are using the Building Thinking Skills programs too and I believe that is helping some to. We have many years to make up for, and I have to often remind myself of how far they have already come in one short year.

Blessings-

Bill and Christina said...

Hi Julie,
Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. I was just looking at that program yesterday so you my friend are comfirmation!Thank you for taking the time to encourage me:)